Athens embodies a brand of hospitality that is Southern
The Square is an inviting locale where merchants greet you with a smile, and where special events encourage you to meet your neighbors and make new friends. In addition, the immediate Square area is a Wi-Fi hotspot and offers free internet so you can enjoy using technology amid the backdrop of our historic shops and Courthouse.
Athens definitely offers Character.
From our Athens Grease Festival, named One of the Oddest Festivals in Alabama, to a tacky sweater contest on the Courthouse steps for the Christmas holidays, Downtown Athens enjoys not taking itself too seriously. It is here you will see an Athena-Grease Goddess, a dog enjoying ice cream in the back of a pickup truck, and a store mannequin who has his own Facebook page.
Find your own stories of Classic. Southern. Character. by making a visit to Downtown Athens.
Visit Downtown Athens Today!
Latest News from Athens Main Street
- Mayor Marks proclaims Greek Week in Athens October 13, 2019
- Seven bands in store for the 2019 Athens Grease Festival September 30, 2019
- 2019 Athena-Grease Goddess carries a ‘servant’s heart of gold’ September 26, 2019
- Athens Grease Festival October 19, 2019 – So many choices for great food! September 9, 2019
- Athens Main Street honored with five Awards of Excellence at Main Street Alabama conference August 27, 2019