You could smell fried food for miles this past Saturday at the Athens Grease Festival. Over 2,000 people attended the celebration of all things fried in Athens. Athens Main Street Executive Director Melanie Newton said “Thank you to all the volunteers, sponsors, downtown merchants, City of Athens, Limestone County and Athens Main Street Board of Directors. The annual Athens Grease Festival was a great success. Athens Main Street is able to host this festival because of the hard work and dedication of all who participate.”
Athens Main Street Board President Laurie Glenn echoed those comments “The annual Athens Grease Festival was a huge success! It is always fun to see our community and visitors come together to eat, play and visit at one of the quirkiest festivals in Alabama. Thank you to all who participated in any way!”
Live music was provided by Wild Whimsies, Tom McClung, Of Kith and Kin, Jimmy Henderson Duo, Steel City Jug Slammers and Matt Prater. East Limestone Marching Band led the opening ceremony. A special performance by the music group Skyway Man accompanied by members of the Athens High School Marching Band and Chorus closed out the festival. Many events took place throughout the day such as the Hometown Grocery Frozen Turkey Toss, Dub’s Burgers Hamburger Eating Contest, Best Toga Contest, and best fried food throughout the vendors. Those winners are as follows:
- Jason Pendergrass won the Hometown Grocery Frozen Turkey Toss for the third year. 32 feet.
- Toga contest winners:
- First – Jerry Barnes as Elvis
- Second- Shannon Shelton
- Third – Susie Palacios
- First – Hollis McNutt
- Second – Emmalee Prater
- Third – Rachel Adornetto
- First – Lily Palacios
- Second – Lace Prater
- Food contest winners:
- Most Outrageous- Fried candy corn by Brad Curnutt.
- Best Fried Veggie – Fried Artichoke with spicy sauce by Village Pizza.
- Best Fried Dessert – Fried apple pie by Our Little Kitchen Food Truck
- Best Fried Meat – Fried catfish by Sweetest Things Tea Room
- Gakobey Gill won the Children’s division of the Athens Grease Festival Dub’s Burgers Eating Contest.
- The adult winner is Gregory Gill with 3 burgers in 2 minutes.
City of Athens, Alabama
Hand Arendall LLC
Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful
Morell Engineering, Inc.
Redstone Federal Credit Union
Athens State University
Osborne’s Jewelers, INC.
First National Bank
Martin and Cobey
The Warten House
Special thanks to the following for there in-kind donations: Hometown Grocery, Crystal Mountain Water, Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, and Limestone County Commissioner, District Two, Steve Turner
Comments are closed