ATHENS— What better way to kick off summer than a night of fun for the entire family?
Fridays After Five will be on the third Friday of each month in June-September, beginning this Friday, June 15 from 5-8 p.m. in downtown Athens, Ala.
The purpose of Fridays After Five is to bring people to the downtown district to dine, shop and enjoy live entertainment while taking in the beauty of the historic square.
Participating businesses and eateries will remain open on these Fridays. In addition, vendors will line the sidewalks of downtown to sell art, handmade items, jewelry and more.
“Fridays After Five is a true family event. Don’t forget to bring your four-legged members. Boneyard Antiques will have a water station and will be giving away doggie bone treats,” said Wendy Yarbrough—owner of Boneyard Antiques.
Like Boneyard Antiques, most businesses and vendors are offering special promotions and deals at Fridays After Five.
“We are so excited to celebrate our 25th Anniversary with our customers at Fridays After Five. Please stop by so we can thank you for your patronage over the last twenty-five years,” said Regina Crawford—owner of Crawford’s Gifts.
Be on the lookout for Our Little Kitchen and Kona Ice food trucks this week at Fridays After Five.
After evaluating previous Fridays After Five events, the Athens Main Street Board agreed that adding a kids zone would be beneficial to the event. WOW Internet, Cable & Phone will sponsor the kids zone that will include bubbles, coloring, corn hole boards, face paint, side walk chalk and a photo booth.
“We’re really excited to kick off this year’s Fridays After Five. We hope that adding a kids zone will bring the whole family to downtown Athens for a night of fun,” said Amy Higginbotham— Athens Main Street board member and Fridays After Five chair.
The kids zone, sponsored by WOW Internet, Cable & Phone, will be located at the Exchange building on Marion Street.
While Fridays After Five has previously been on the second Friday of each month, the Athens Main Street Board decided that changing Fridays After Five to the same weekends as Singing on the Square would attract more people to the downtown district.
Singing on the Square, hosted by Athens-Limestone County Tourism, will be on the Courthouse steps in front of Marion Street. This week Tom Cat & Bark the Dawg will play from 6-8 p.m.
The downtown merchants, vendors and eateries participating this week are:
- Athens Soap Company – 3 for $15 soaps, $1 off essential oil rollers
- Bennett’s – Men’s and women’s clothing store
- BJD Creations – Handmade jewelry
- Boneyard Antiques – Four Legged Fridays: bring your furry friends by for a bone at the Boneyard
- The Broken Brush – Canvas, wood and pottery painting
- Crawford’s Gifts – 25 Years of Business Celebration: celebrating customers with 25% off all in store merchandise (excludes special orders). Come by to check out the new shipment of Lizzy James Jewelry and enter to win a beach tote
- DotDotSmile – Children’s swing dresses
- Epiphany Boutique – 20% off merchandise
- Garnet’s – Shop for home goods
- High Cotton Arts – Visit with artists, shop for locally made art, sign up for classes and enjoy snacks
- Kona Ice – Cool off with shaved ice
- Little Happies Company – Personalized jewelry for all occasions
- Lucia’s – $4.50 margaritas
- Natalie Young – Fused glass collection
- Our Little Kitchen Food Truck – Seafood gumbo, shrimp po’boys, red beans & rice, jalapeno cornbread, chicken quesadillas, jambalaya and fried apple pies
- Paparazzi Jewelry – Drawing every hour for jewelry; $1 ticket/ chance
- Pimentos – Gift shop that will be open until 8:00 p.m. Thursday- Saturday
- The Right Dress Boutique – Buy one get one 50% off jewelry, 50% Ginger Snap jewelry, 50% off anything with a pink ribbon
- Snapdragon Kids – Kids clothing store
- SweetGrass Farms – Fresh flower arrangements and bouquets
- Toodlebugs – Baby and children’s boutique
- Trinity’s – Gifts and Home Décor
- U.G. White Mercantile – Spend $100 get a free pound of candy (full price merchandise only)
- Village Pizza – Pizza, salads and subs
- Who, What, Where Art – Athens and other local city/ town signed prints and notecards, hand painted jewelry
- Wildwood Deli – Food and/or beverage specials
For more information and to stay up-to-date on future Fridays After Five events, visit https://www.facebook.com/fridaysafterfive/